Had surgeries on neck to fuse c2 and c3 cervical spine. Developed numb patches on thighs. Suggestions

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Yes you can, I have had 2 surgerys on my neck and the 1st one was to fuse together the c2 and c3 cervical spine. I was born without most of my c2 so they took a bone piece of my pelvic area and built me one and fused it to the c3. The next surgery was to to do a Rizotimy on all of my cervical spine. I was in a auto accident that broke the fusion and also broke the c1 and now I really have had problems with it. I have had a resent MRI and I have alot of damage to my spinal cord itself. They also said that I have bone spurs plus alot of arthritus. The first surgery was did in 1979 where they fused it with 16gage wire that over time , as the the bone grew it has all broke up and my x-rays look like a birds nest now. I have seen alot of specialist and different Drs. I have been diagnosed with so many things that its scary. Ive been put on dissability and cant afford to hardly live besides try to get some help with my problems. I see 3 different Drs every month and it seems to me that they are just trying to get what money what i do get. Ive grown really tired of being in pain and cant afford the maintence drug that I know I need.. This is the first time Ive ever talked to Web MD and know I have a new semtom and its that Im starting to see white and feeling like Im geting shocked more and more. I have felt this before but not as much. The newest semtom is that I have developed numb patches on my thighs where you would put your hands in your pockets. I have had numbness in my hands and fingers it feels like forever, but never before have i had it in my legs, much less on my upper thighs in the front like I described. Is ther anyone out there that can give me some insight in whats going on with me? I really hope that Ive been making some sence. I did find the money to hear your opinion, I really cant afrord it but at this point Im willing to try anything. I didnt tell you that I have some chiped bone spurs that are up there also and it feels like a box of rocks when I move my head and thats not very much. Ive have 30% lose of range of motion ever snice I had the first surgery. The only relief that I do get is just simply not to move very much. If I move around to much my head starts to hurt and after that Im done, I have to just lie down and be very still untill it eases up. Ive went to thearapy untill they hurt me and after that I do my own losenimg up. I do the Hot and cold thing too. I do know that my musules go in to a spazem and then it really does hurt also. Im ready to pay and hear what you have to say sir.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
From the description provided it seems that you have damaged your cervical spine considerably due to accidents and arthritis.
This is likely to cause the nerve related symptoms and the headaches that you are having. To relieve the pain, it is best to avoid using a pillow, use a cervical collar for neck support, take the pain killers and muscle relaxants as advised to you and do a regular hot fomentation.
The new symptom - Numbness on the thighs that you are having is likely to be related to methylcobalamin deficiency. A simple blood test will help in proper diagnosis. This is not likely to be related to the nerve compression at the level of cervical spine.
You can start with supplements till then for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I would like to know as much as possible about the spinal cord . Dr. Tayal I do thank you for yor time. What are the things for me to look for involving the cord its self.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The spinal cord involvement- level and extent can be assessed after a clinical examination by a neurologist and investigations like MRI and NCV testing.
You will start with numbness, pins and needles sensation, gradually progressive decrease in muscle strength, exaggerated reflexes, etc. Right now the numbness in the thigh seems to be due to thyroid hormone imbalance or a vitamin B 12 deficiency. If there is improvement on proper supplementation, then you need not worry regarding the spinal cord involvement.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Is there somehow that any of this affects my eye sight because, because over a short period of time my eye sight has just gotten terrible and it keeps getting worce as time goes on.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The problem you have in the cervical spine is not related to the difficulty in eyesight you are having. You need to consult an ophthalmologist and get your vision tested to find out the cause.
Regards.