Had open heart surgery for mitral valve replacement. Have strep throat and suffering from cellulitis. Could I ask a doctor?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hi I am a 50 year old female who had open heart surgery for mitral valve replacement and MAZE for AFIB 3 months ago. This all seems to have started after my dental treatment for periodontal disease. I now have to take Amiodarane 200mgs daily along with aspirin. I weigh 102 pound and am physically fit. Doctors believe I may have had rhuematoid fever as a child. I know I have had strep throat and now suffer from celllulitis. I have been placed on antibiotics after having cardiac catherization to combat cellulitis. The problem is now my stomach is gurgling I am constantly belching and have diarrhea. Along with that this past week my BP which is normally low 102/70 went up. There was one day the readings when I got up were 123/108 and it show IH. I know I am a little stressed and suffer from panic attacks should I go to my doctor or call the Cardiologist. By the way I also have sharp stabbing pains under my left breast area. Before all of this occurred I only suffered from the epilepsy and anemia.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possib. impaired intestinal flora of antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi, - The belching and diarrhea you are experiencing are due to the antibiotics you use to combat cellulitis. Usually, they can impair the normal balance of the intestinal flora leading to such problems. These problems are also related to the pain you feel under your left breast area (due to impaired bowel movements). I usually recommend to my patients when using antibiotics to use also probiotics and anti-fungal drugs (nystatin). You can talk to your physician to start this therapy too. With regards to the BP results up to 123/108 might be because of being stressed. I usually advise my patients to stay sit and calm for at least 15 minutes before measuring BP to avoid false results. I'd suggest to measure your BP for at least 1 week every day, record the results and consult your cardiologist if the results are not within the normal ranges. Hope this answered to your inquiries! If you have other concerns, do not hesitate to contact me again! Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad