Had mirena IUD. Missing periods. Started spotting and abdominal pain. What's wrong?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: I have had a Mirena IUD for almost 4 years now. No periods at all with it. I am experiencing sharp, stabbing pains where my ovaries would be and am spotting bright pink blood. This is not the first time this has happened. The pain makes me double over. There are not any similarities between the events; only that they have happened 2 or 3 times.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, Mirena IUD is an intrauterine device which releases levonorgestrel. Absence of period is common with this device. But, spotting, pain in abdomen are side effects of this device. Presence of those symptoms indicates pelvic inflammatory disease most possibly.

What you have to do is just do an ultrasound scan to rule out presence of any sign of pelvic inflammatory disease or any other abnormality. If present then the device should be taken out. Because, in that case, it may give rise to many complications.

For pain, you can just take some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like aceclofenac or paracetamol group of drug. If the pelvic inflammatory disease is present then it should be treated with doxycycline group of drug.

So, consult with your treating doctor about these issues and my suggestions as early as possible for clinical examination, ordering investigations required and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.