Had hip replacement surgery. Found low thyroid levels. On Eltroxin and Levothyroxine Sodium. Prescribed Co-ciproflaxacin. Stop Eltroxin?

Posted on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I had hip replacement surgery on May 7, 2013. On XXXXXXX 26/13 I had blood tests done because I was so tired and my Doctor said my Thyroid levels were a bit low (I've never had trouble before) so she started me on Eltroxin 50 mcg Levothyroxine Sodium on July 2, 2013. I was walking around the block fine until I started taking these pills and then on July 26/13 I was prescribed Co-ciproflaxacin 500 mg for a bladder infection and since then my muscles have been so sore that I was using my cane again and the doctor told me to use muscles relaxers, so I take One Pms -Diclofenac SR 100mg a day or I can't walk without my cane. To me this seems as if I have digressed. Do you think I should stop taking the Eltroxin?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:

Both Ciprofloxacin and Eltroxin do not cause muscle weakness. I suspect the cause for your weakness to be something else than these drugs.

Do get yourself examined by a Neurologist to determine the cause for the weakness you have. As most of times muscle weakness is due to neurological cause.

Dr. Raju A.T