Had heart attack. Suggested stent. Feeling burning sensation in heart. Using sorbetrate under tongue. Suggestions?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sir,

My father recently (1 Month ago) got Heart attack. We went to doctor, and doctor suggested us for stent.
He placed a stent in a vessel. He is using medicines since last 1 month, but he is till feeling burning sensation in heart every night 11 PM. and he is putting sorbetrate under his tunge. He is feeling relief.

Could you please suggest what is his situation, why he is getting burning sensation daily night?
Doctor is not able to answer my questions, Can you suggest, is it safe to keep him at home, or do I need to shift him to hospital?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes / Shift to hospital

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

This may mean persistent or recurrent ischemia – from block in the stent or progression of disease in a different native vessel. There could me left heart failure too...The safest option is to admit again and get investigated further ...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
Thanks Sir for your immediate reply,

Yesterday we took him to hospital, they performed TROP-T (Result negative) and ECG tests .They said nothing abnormal which can cause major problem.

Previous Vessel status :

He got heart attack in one vessel (As we could not reach the hospital in time, doctor said he can not bring the vessel to normal state, and he said we have to leave it as it is)

In angiogram he identified there is block in another vessel, so he put stent there.

The vessel in which he got heart attack is in failure state.

My question :
(Failed vessel)
Is the failed part of heart creating these burning sensation?

(Stent arranged vessel)
Or new stent is creating any problem?

(Balloon applied vessel)
Another vessel also has blocks, so he applied a balloon on that, Is this causing any problem?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further tests -

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Troponin will not raise until a heart attack occurs! The aim is to prevent one...
X-ray chest may show left heart failure
ECHOcardiogram will show wall motion abnormality / pumping capacity

The culprit vessel could cause the symptoms / there can be a block or dissection in the stent. It is not possible to predict which one – from examination or simple ECG...
A stress ECG with isotope (Thallium Treadmill Exercise ECG) is necessary, for functional (physiology) information...
CT angio is non-invasive and can give structural (anatomy) information

Examining / treating doctor is best placed to assess and advise