Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Had an accident. Blood work, ultra sound and biopsy normal. Having edema. What are the risks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I was in a car accident on 06/15/12, Sciatic nerve damage is suspected. MRI has not been completed due to swelling in the lower lumbar is still excessive. Incidental findings of Thyroid Nodules was discovered, after consulting and Endocrinologist, blood work, ultra sound and biopsy has been completed. All blood came back normal, liver function, sugar, thyroid. Cholesterol was slightly elevated 164. Biopsy results for the solid nodules of 22 mm, 17 mm, and 14 mm are due in 07/05. I am 45 years of age, overweight, but have no other health issues. BP is slightly elevated at recent appointments but always reduces prior to leaving the Dr Office. The current problem is Edma. This involves my whole body....How much swelling is too much? When is enough enough to where I should seek ER treatment if it does not reduce? And which problem could it be related to? I am on muscle relaxers, narcotics, and anti inflammatory medications in addition to a stool softer and stimulant to counteract the effects of the pain medications. Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Swelling all over your body could be due to not taking adequate fluids coupled with a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude, etc. Taking laxatives in overdose and anti inflammatory drugs can aggravate the swelling.
You can stop taking laxatives and cut down salt in your diet. Adequate hydration is necessary. There is no specific cut off limit of edema. If your body weight has increased by more than 10% then treatment is needed.
If the edema persists then I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO and urine tests done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor