Had a vaginal delivery. Now having bleeding from clitoris. Anything serious?

Posted on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Child Birth
Question: Hello, I am 6 weeks postpartum. I had a vaginal delivery with no complications. However, I have been bleeding on and off from both the vagina and from what appears to be my clitoris. What can it be? Should I be concerned? Just had my 6 week check up and my doctor cleared me. She said that it is bleeding from Vagina. When I have a pad on I see two blood spots one at the top and the other at the bottom of the pad. No connection in between. I know it is not from my vagina because I feel it when it comes down. Not sure if this is related to the fact that I passed some placenta a few days after being discharged or not.
Please help!!
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound to rule out retained bits

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

There can be many reasons for this bleeding most common of which include retained bits of placenta, infection and separation of slough over a genital injury during birth procedure or infection of placental site and endometritis.

If any infectious focus is there, you will have fever with bleeding. Most probably, injury is also not there as your doctor has already examined you.

I will advise you to get an ultrasound done to find any retained bits.Also, if you feel some injury over genitalia,then you can apply betadine cream over it after sitz bath twice daily( put 5 ml betadine solution in warm water tub and sit in it for 15 min).

Maintain genital hygiene and take healthy diet along with iron supplements.

Good Luck
Hope this information is helpful and informative.
If you have further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr. Deepti Goyal

OBGYN