Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had a miscarriage, orthostatic hypertension, food intolerance, on multivitamins, positive anti-nuclear antibodies test, taken iron test. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I have tested positive for Anti-nuclear antibodies with a titre of 1:160.
I fell pregnant in december last year and had a missed miscarriage diagnosed at 10 weeks ( followed by a d&c) and since one very early loss at 5 weeks.
I have been tested twice XXXXXXX positive since then. I have been offered no treatment or advice about this regarding trying to concieve. I have not been diagnosed with any auto immune diseases , so far all the tests have proved negative. (I have been tested low in iron, vitamin d and sodium and zinc... i also have orthostatic hypertension ( blood pressure rises on standing) )
I take multivitamins, vit d, b12 injections, aspirin, folic acid,zinc ( my gp seems to think i have problems absorbing vitamins as I have food intollerances)
I have been tring to concieve for the 6 months since the miscarriage with no success.
I am 40 years old , never had any other pregnancies , I am in good physical shape .
I have read about the antibodies causing miscarriage and conception problems and I am looking for advice from a specialist in this field. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 49 minutes later
Thanks for your query

For antinuclear antibodies positive it is better to have the gammaglobulin injections like bharglob but it should be taken under your doctor's guidance.
As far as aspirin is concerned , low molecular weight heparin or enoxaprin injections are better but they can cause coagulation disorders so should be taken under physician's supervision and after doing coagulation profile.
Hypertension can also cause miscarriages.
There can be associated factors like poor egg quality for which pure FSH inj is given.

Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had a miscarriage, orthostatic hypertension, food intolerance, on multivitamins, positive anti-nuclear antibodies test, taken iron test. Advice? 21 hours later
Thank you for your reply Dr Bhagia.

I have been told that some people take prednisone to get pregnant with posotove ANAs. Is the gammaglobulin treatment better?

also with the heparin, do you need this only when you are pregnant or before?

I ovulate every month , what does FSH do to improve egg quality?

Sorry for so many questions!

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 6 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.

Yes many patients take prednisolone along with ovulating drugs.

Heparin is taken while you are pregnant.Till then you can take ecospirin.

Regarding FSH(follicle stimulating hormone) i don't know but there was a patient of mine who was my neighbour also had 4 miscarriages having the same problem as you are having.

We had lost every hope and one day I tried HMG (human menopausal hormone) injections and she carried her pregnancy to term and delivered a female child and she is again in her family way.

Gammaglobulins are also given while pregnant.

Best wishes,
Any further query is most welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor