What causes right-sided facial numbness when diagnosed with sinus infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I was diagnosed with a sinus infection yesterday and was given a z pact for infection. This morning my right side of face is numb. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
infection can be associated with inflammation and numbness

Detailed Answer:
HI,thanks for using healthcare magic

Infections of the sinuses can sometimes numbness because of the inflammation of the affected area.

It should resolve as the medication kicks in.

In addition to the antibiotic, you may need anti inflammatory medication and antihistamine/decongestant combination of medication to help speed recovery.

Anti inflammatory medication would reduce the inflammation associated with the infection

If you find there is no improvement after 36 to 48 hours or if there is significant worsening, then you should be seen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
I just returned from our redi-med and they are treating me for bells palsy. Is prednisone and valtex the anti-inflammatories you were referring to?

What's the difference between bells palsy and a stoke? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
stroke is due to blockage or rupture of a blood vessel

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sorry for the delayed reply

Prednisolone is also an anti inflammatory drug from a different family. It would be a stronger and more effective anti inflammatory than those referred to previously and would help to suppress the infection.

Valtrex is anti viral.

A stroke is caused when the blood supply to a part of the brain is reduced. This can occur if a blood vessel is blocked or if a blood vessel ruptures, therefore affecting the blood going to a particular area.

Bells palsy is caused by a viral infection which inflames or irritates the nerves. It is not related to rupture or blockage of blood vessel

Please feel free to ask anything else