Got scratched by dog. Cleaned with antibiotic. Noticed redness and soreness. Any risks?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: My daughter got scratched by our dog (did not break skin) and then the dog licked the area. The area is now raised, red and sore to the touch. When cleaned with an antibiotic soap (phisohex) it (the affected area) burned according to my 8 yr old.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting query
Dog bite or scratch needs a proper care of wound including cleaning of wound with tap water or antiseptic lotion (which you have already done). As dog nails are very contaminated there is very much chances of infection of wound although there is a scratch. The line of treatment includes:
1. Cleaning of wound immediately after the bite.
2. Tetanus Toxoid and rabies vaccination within 24 hrs. of injury.
3. A course of antibiotic to prevent infection.
4. Daily cleaning of wound with aseptic lotion.

As your daughter is complaining of burning sensation, that is due to the inflammation at the site. It is part of healing process, you need to give her anti-inflammatory drugs and apply antibiotic cream at the site to get rid of that. Consult your doctor and he/she may decide by examining the wound whether your daughter needs an antibiotic course orally?

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any other query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh