Given mepantoprazole for chest pain and loss of voice. Have more coughing and tiredness. What to do?

Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I went to the doctor with chest pain,loss of voice ..she gave mepantoprazole ..today same ..coughing more..tired
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Advised to have first ECG done Detailed Answer: Hi, If I were your treating Doctor for this case of chest pain coughing and tiredness, I would have first done a ECG (electrocardiogram ), to rule out any heart related problems, also you are a lil bit of obese. Pantoprazole is a drug which reduces gastric acid production and give relief from gastric system related symptoms. Voice loss and cough also indicates some upper respiratory infection, and if any ECG related problems is ruled out, we can think about having some antibiotics and some more pantoprazole type drugs,for its cure. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 34 minutes later
Thank you - i dont consider myself obese - i am 150 lbs at 5'5 and in shape so a few lbs over but would this be consider obese? I was disappointed i was not given antibiotics and will ask for an ekg - they think it heartburn and reflux esophagitis
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: your bmi is 25 Detailed Answer: Yes sure you are not obese. I did the maths and found out your BMI to be 25 which comes under overweight category, just below obese category also commonly known as pre-obese category. The need for antibiotics is decided by the treating doctor on the basis of examination and tests. I advised you to have ECG to make you feel good that its not some heart problem if it comes out to be negative. Hoping for your good health ! Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS