Getting chest pain, arm pain and burning sensation under rib cage. What is acute panic attack?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is Acute Panic Attack?? Is medication is the only treatment?? All Attacks I get are mild in nature, often mimic an heart attack. I often feel chest pain and pain on my left arm pit and a burning sensation just under the rib cage above abdomin (Left side). recently consulted a cardiologist , extensively investigated, eco cardiology/ tred mill test, all normal reports. A constant feeling of impending digaster is always in my mind
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 53 minutes later

A acute panic attack is a sudden episode of intense fear that triggers severe physical reactions including increased heart rate, sweating and sometimes tremors when there is no real danger or apparent cause.The attacks present with symptoms which may mimic a heart attack.

The burning sensation you get could be due to gastritis due to increased acidity which is a commonly associated condition in people with panic attacks.Taking antacids like Gelusil will surely help and prevent the burning in the chest.

Panic attacks can be controlled to some extent by natural techniques like Yoga, aerobics and meditation. Do practice the same. Use of medications may not be essential if the above mind relaxation techniques reduce the attack episodes.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later
Thanks ,

What about the pain that I get on the left arm pit? Is it also a simptoms of panic attack?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, the pain in the armpit would not be related to the panic attack you get. It could probably be due to spasm of the intercostal muscles. Do get yourself examined by your treating doctor to confirm the fact. Regular exercises would suffice to overcome such pains.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E