Gallbladder removed. Test showed slightly enlarge liver. Having abdominal pain. Any suggestion?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: had gallbladder removed 6 yrs ago. had high cholestorol, previously on lipitor. controlling it with diet. 5"10 and 200lbs. recently lost 30lbs. no heart problems, smoker. drink rarely. had acute attack of upper abdominal pain lasting approximatley 6 days, liver function test slightly elevated. blood work normal. K+ slightly elevated. blood sugars normal. ecg normal. liver shows slight enlargemnet. pain has gone now, abdominal ultrasound schedualed in 4 months. doctor wants to "monitor". should i be seaking a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Six days of abdominal pain is not something one should ignore. Deranged liver functions, sugar derangement and electrolyte derangement are not something which will cause pain in abdomen. More often they are a part of routine screen.
I would like to receive following few other clarifications:
1) Did you have any acid regurgitation along with the pain?
2) Was it associated with any spicy food?
3) Do you have any problems with digestion?
4) Does the pain refer to any particular point especially to the back?
5) Any burning urination or increased frequency of urination?
6) What was the type of pain-stabbing, burning, aching, etc.?
I would be happy to receive these clarifications in order to serve you better.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 39 minutes later
no acid regurgitation
any ingestion of food increased the pain, although the pain did not subside much on an empty stomach
5mg morphine po did not alliviate much of the pain
no real concerns with digestion, bowel movements appeared normal
the pain did not affect my back or did i have back pain
urine cultures were negative
pain felt like id been punched in the stomach repeatedly, at times causing me to double over.
physical examination doctor felt the liver was slightly enlarged.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 minutes later
Thanks for your immediate clarification.
From the details, it appears that you may be having a problem with your stomach/intestine or with your pancreas. I don't think you should delay in getting a USG scan. The other test that can give you a good idea is a upper GI endoscopy. If it is some kind of ulcer, then it can be right away diagnosed. Serum Amylase and Serum Lipase are two blood tests that can help you in ruling in or out the problem with the Pancreas. One will be in a better position to comment on the cause of the pain only after getting the results of these tests.
Meanwhile you should take a healthy diet and refrain from spicy or fried food and take OTC Tablet Prevacid 1 tablet one hour before breakfast if the symptoms are bad.
A slightly enlarged liver is not a big problem and is commonly noted in over weight.
Hope I am able to solve your queries.
I would be glad to help you if need any further clarifications.
If not you can close the discussion and rate/review the answer.
Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 minutes later
lipase results were within normal range
ALT was high: (<50 being normal) mine was 71
Gamma GT was high: (<49 being normal) mine was 62
Billirubin was within normal range

do these results mean anything more?
The results of ALT and GGT although are not with in normal range, but they are not deranged enough that they mean much. The values are not very much raised. Now that S .Lipase was normal, pancreas might not be a problem. You should insist with your doctor for USG abdomen and an Upper GI endoscopy in your case.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Please kindly close the discussion and rate/review the answer, if possible.