Gain weight mainly in stomach. Had blood cot in lungs. Chances of cancer?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: I'm out of town and needed to go get my INR checked. While I was there I told the Dr. that about 2 years ago I noticed my stomach was getting bigger. I have alaways had to fight a weight problem but I have always had a flat stomach. And it's hard above my belly button. Sometimes the hardness subsides a little. I had a bloodclot in my lung 6 months ago and have not smoked since. I have gained about 35lbs in 6 months. And mostly in my stomach. Anyways she got a scared look on her face and wants me to be checked for cancer. I'm very scared now.My question is, wouldn't I have any other symptons in the past 2 years if it were cancer? I wont be back to my home town with my regular doctor for 3 more months. No one has had cancer in my family.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

In view of your symptoms, I would have not suspected cancer as first diagnosis unless we rule out other causes of abdominal distension. Particularly since this is there for two years. Cancer would surely present with multiple symptoms in duration of two years.

There are multiple causes of abdominal distinctions like hernia, lipoma, eventration, enlarge organ etc.

Therefore, the ideal and confirmatory investigation to find out if there is anything underlying is by a sonography. You can discuss with the current doctor and plan it accordingly. Alternatively, you may go back to your doctor at home and get it done.

Again generally, most patients with cancer lose weight, which has not happened in your case.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 9 days later
Would that go for ovarian cancer as well? Besides my stomach being big and hard, I feel fine.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 hours later
Yes, that would goes for ovarian cancer as well.Ovarian cancer with ascites can cause abdominal distension but that will be in short duration of few weeks and at this stage of ovarian cancer there would be significant symptoms.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 47 hours later
Hi Doctor, I want to thank you for your opinions. I was able to sleep a little better. I had a ct scan yesterday. The Dr. called and said it showed a mass attached to my uterus that is about 8 or nine inches big. She is sending me to a gynecologist who specializes in cancer. My sister said she had fibroid tumors and so did my grandmother. I'm hoping thats the problem and not cancer. But its strange, cause I feel just fine. I am hoping I can talk to you one more time. I would like to tell you what the specialist says. Again, I want to thank you. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later
Can you please provide exact 'impression' mentoined in CT scan report?

Commonly larger mass grown over a period (like 2 years in your case)with no other symptoms or findings in abdomen are non-cancerous.

Commonest large masses attached to uterus are fibroids.Again with that size, I would first like to consider possibility of fibroid before considering it as cancer..

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 13 hours later
I asked for the exact impression and this is what I was told. They think it is in the pelvis coming from the uterus. The solid appearance is 13 by 16.5 cm. If it were cancer, is it curable?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
First of all, with all details put together I don't think it's cancer.Uterine cancers don't grow to that size without causing symptoms.

If at all it turns out cancer it can be managed well, but complete cure is not always possible.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 31 minutes later
Once again I want to thank you. If it's okay with you, I will let you know what the results are. I feel like I have a friend who understands. Thanks so much. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 44 minutes later
You are always welcomed.

Sure, you can let me know.

Best luck and whatever it is fight it back.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 5 days later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX I have an appointment on the 10th to see a specialist. The nurse said it was nothing life threatening or they would have seen me right away. So thats good. I heard she uses the robot to do surgeries. I was wondering if there are medications to take for fibroid tumors? I believe in herbal meds as well. If I have to have an operation I will, but I would like to be aware of any other procedures. Thank you once again. After my appointment I will let you know exactly what's going on. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
There are no completely curative medications for fibroid.Even herbal medications are not likely to help.

In most cases, wait and watch is the approach.Serial sonographies can be done to keep a watch on it.

Treatment if needed, then options are interventional procedures or surgery.

Please let me know details after appointment.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 4 days later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX tomorrow is my appointment to find out whats going on. I was just wondering if there are any questions I should be asking the Dr? And if I did have to have an operation, is it safe since I'm on coumadin? Is it true that after menopause the fibroids will shrink? I should be reaching it soon, I'm in my fifties. I will email after I see the Dr. tomorrow. Thank you sooo much once again.

Hi Dr XXXXXXX I had my appointment today. The Dr. wants to remove my uterus,cervix and felopian tubes. At first she said it appeared to be a big fatty fibroid. But then after thinking about the fact that I'm as old as I am and have not gone into menopause that she had better check it for cancer. She is doing the robotic surgery this Wednesday. I was relieved but now I'm nervous again. I will be so glad when this is over. Hope to hear from you. Thanks again.
XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 26 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX I had my appointment today. The Dr. wants to remove my uterus,cervix and felopian tubes. At first she said it appeared to be a big fatty fibroid. But then after thinking about the fact that I'm as old as I am and have not gone into menopause that she had better check it for cancer. She is doing the robotic surgery this Wednesday. I was relieved but now I'm nervous again. I will be so glad when this is over. Hope to hear from you. Thanks again. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
With large uterine tumor, if their cause is not clear before operation and if it is possible to remove uterus with mass completely, then getting it removed can be a wise move.

Coumadin should be stopped before operation and blood tests should be done to evaluate your blood coagulation status.In my opinion operation should not be done without prior evaluation.Please bring this to notice of your doctor ,if not done earlier remind them once again.

Ask your doctor about frozen section.This is test done to know whether tumor is cancer while operation.This will help doctor to modify operation on table itself.

Do ask doctor about long term effects of this operation.

Please ask about benefits and drawbacks of robotic surgery.

After menopause fibroids may shrink, but it's quiet unpredictable to how they will respond.

Do let me know further developments.Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 13 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX my doctor said she can remove my ovaries or leave them in. Are there benefits to leaving them in? In July my coumadin level ran really high. I was taking nexium as well. I started to bleed in my rectum,and I started my period as well. The period ended before the bleeding of the rectum. Once the coumadin level was adjusted to normal the bleeding from my rectum stopped. My INR has been fine since. The period I had before that one was about 3 months earlier. I havent had one since the last one in July. Would you suspect Cancer after hearing this info? Tomorrow is my surgery and I am shaking and very scared. My month is almost up on this site. I want to renew it so I can let you know the final results. When I'm done I will give you the best rating. You have been so kind to answer all my questions. XXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Just wanted to add. I spoke with a nurse today. She read some test I took where normal is from 0 to 50 and I was at 42. But I can't remember the name of the test. But she said this was a good sign. Just thought I would tell you. Thanks once more. Please know after this is all over I promise I wont keep bugging you. But talking to you has really helped. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
If ovaries are left back, they can provide hormonal support.So it might be wise thing to consider this option.Of course, your doctor will have to take case specific decision about this.

Hearing this info doesn't make me incline towards diagnosis of cancer.

Anxiety, stress and some fear is common before such surgeries.Mild anxiolytics can help you relax.You can talk about this with your doctor and they will help you with this.

I guess nurse performed test related to blood coagulation status.It's difficult to predict name of test by knowing normal values. If you can get the name of the test, then we can discuss it further.

I hope everything will turn out fine for you.Please relax and trust in your doctors.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 44 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Well I had my hysterectomy. NO CANCER!!!! She said it could show up in some other test but she highly doubts it. The mass was the size of someone 24 weeks pregnant. I found out my doctor actually teaches other doctors to do the robotic surgery. And has gone over to Russia to teach their doctors. My surgery was 5 hrs. Now I'm at home and doing pretty good. I want to thank you so much. Believe it or not, you really helped me get through this. If you were here I would give you a big hug and treat you to dinner After I know you have received this note I will give you your review. Thanks again. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
'NO CANCER' is such a good news.

Though tests are needed to confirm this, most of the time first impression of doctor after having look at features of tumor is quiet reliable.

Good part is you had a skilled doctor to operate on you.

It was pleasure to assist you.Wish you fast recovery.

Regards.