Found hepatitis B positive. Blood test and ultrasound done. What are the findings in the report?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Good morning Dr. Iam 33 years male and i have recently donated blood, after analysis it was found that Hepatitis B was Positive. They referred me to Gastroentrologist. On the same day i consulted and advised for ultra sound Scanning of whole abdomen and Blood tests. My scanning report shows every thing is fine except "Coarsened Liver Echotexture".
And blood serology reports are as follows: Anti Hepatitis B Enevelope Antigen (AHBe-AB) - Negative (0.01), Hepatitis B core Antibody- IgM - Positive (1.34), Hepatitis B Enevelope Antigen (HBeAg) - Negative (0.03).
And also my LFT results are as follows:
Total Bilirubin - 1.0 mg/dl
SGOT - 34 U/L
SGPT - 49 U/L
Alkaline Phosphate - 99U/L
TOTAL PROTIENS - 6.8 gm//dl
Albumin - 4.0 gm/dl
Globulin - 2.8 gm/dl
After observing above results My doctor advised to XXXXXXX after 6 months and no medication was advised.
Requesting you to explain what is the level of my Infection.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 41 minutes later

Since the Anti Hepatitis B Enevelope Antigen (AHBe-AB) is Negative and Hepatitis B core Antibody- IgM - Positive, I consider you to be in a window period where there is no much damage to the liver and any other organs. After a few months, you may be completely recovered from the infection.

Since there is minor amount of liver upset in the form of altered echo texture and increased ALP(Alkaline Phosphate) care has to be taken to prevent worsening. This can be done by avoiding fatty and spicy foods. Consuming vegetables and fiber XXXXXXX foods will help and prevent gastric upset, which can aggravate the liver condition.

At this stage, there would be no need for any medications, do follow up after a period of 3 months with the above tests repeated. The progression of the infection can be then studied and plan management necessary.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E