Found blood pressure 108/70. Prescribed with mukthavatika. Should I continue Ashwagandharishta?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Ayurveda
Question: Dear Doctor(Dr. Munish Sood) yesterday i had met with doctor as a routune check.my BP is now 108/70 and she asked me to take mukthavatika(1/2 tab) alternative day for 10 days and asked to stop. hridyamrit vati , arjunarishta XXXXXXX vati,Ashwagandharishta needs to be continued. Kindly advice. Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not stop it immediately.. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for reverting back with your follow up consultation. As far as stopping of the drug is concerned you should not stop it immediately [alternative days]. Since there is/are variations in blood pressure from morning to evening, so practical guideline which I follow with my patients is that I go for serial check up of blood pressure [10:00 AM in morning and 6:00 PM in evening] for 10 days continuously and thereby getting baseline measurements to decide whether blood pressure remains constant throughout the day or there is fluctuation from the normal and then decide accordingly. PS. usually the tapering of dose goes from 4-6 months [regime which I follow, but your Health care professional will be in better position to talk about the same]. I would also increase probiotic [yogurt] in your daily diet. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 59 minutes later
Dear doctor, ok, i will check my BP on daily basis and will update the status.generally i used to check my BP in regular intervels(once in two days,mostely evening).it used to be normal.120/80.shall i continue with tab1/2 on daily basis or can i gohead with alternative days.since two weeks i am suffering from nosal blockage(with cold) during day time and during night it is ok and I am able to sleep. Kindly suggest .
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go low go slow Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your prompt reply. 1. You should continue on alternate basis for 4-6 months and keep check on your blood pressure measurements. 2. since nasal blockage is due to cold, and XXXXXXX vati also causes the same, take it once in morning [till cold gets cured] thereafter take 1/2 tablet on alternate basis. Dr. Munish Sood
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 44 minutes later
Dear Doctor I could not understood your second point. presently i am taking 1/2 tab in morning with lukwarm water.today onwards i have planned to take alternative days. as adviced by you i will take till 4 months alternative days . hope i am on same page. and also reg my nosal blocakge kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: clarification Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the concern raised 1. since your history suggests nasal blockage (with cold) so it is interpreted that stuffy nose is due to weather change and not because of medicine for which point second was mentioned [meaning till cold gets cured take it regularly but once it gets cured start on alternate basis] 2. for nasal blockage: . Avoid:Heavy to digest, slimy and acidic food, curd, beans, mustard oil, excess physical exertion, sunlight-dust areas, exposure to strong winds, day sleeping, smoking, potato, green leafy vegetables, cold water/food. .Take: old brown rice, soup of moong dal, black grapes, cow’s or goat milk, garlic, lukewarm water to drink, black pepper, dried ginger, honey, mulethi, launga. .Take Raw ginger+ raw turmeric: [2 gm each] and fry in cow’s ghee [6 gm] and thereafter add 6 gm jaggery and take at bed time [during night] . for prescription medicine for nasal blockage you may contact your attending Doctor. Dr. Munish Sood Naimitika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E