What causes increased pressure in the ear and disturbed sleep?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ear pressure sleep disturbance
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The disturbed ear pressure is usually due to eustachian tube blockage. Please tell me do you have any history of frequent nasal or throat infection?
What disturbance you face while sleeping I.e. do you have any ringing sounds or something else?
Any hearing difficulty?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Hearing test done they r normal mri also bormal ct scan normal symptoms like abnormal sounds while yawning in left wn drinking water noise in left i hv been tio psychiatric they say brain is normal what ti di

no history of infections
regular cold i have twice a ear
no ringing sounds no hearing difficulty no pain only pressure around my left ear where the spectacle stand rests on left ear
abnormal feeling while yawning on left jaw is ok no pain
tympanogram and hearing test ok
mri ok
something is not working on left side behind and over my ear causing pressure may be leading to stress that wakes me up during sleep regularly since 8 years
please help
how shall i submit my reports here??
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
All the symptoms mentioned by you are due to eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done

Take tablet levocetrizine plus phenylepherine twice daily and xylometazoline nasal drops 2 drops 3 times a day. Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will help to decongest the tube and relieve symptoms.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Doctor's reply to your question above...
Brief Answer:Pressure of the middle ear to be evaluated.Detailed Answer:Welcome back.I think that you need an endoscopic examination about a possible patulous Eustachian tube.Measuring the middle ear pressure also is necessary.Since you had two MRI's, there is no need to get another one done.Discuss getting these examinations done with your ENT Doctor.In good health.Hope this helps

This is the reply from nuro sergen, please consider and advice accordingly..........

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:

Eustachian tube dysfunction is of two types. It can be a blocked tube or a patulous tube. Your symptoms are suggestive of tube blockage.

The best way to get it diagnosed is to get an impedance audiometry done. The endoscopic examination can help to rule out any structural disease but not the functional disease.

The medicines I have suggested will help you with your symptoms. You will definitely be benefited.

Any further questions are always welcome.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 39 hours later
dr this problem is from 8 years
i hv uploaded test reports during cold recently
i dont think it is tube blockage the tube is being pressurised from other refferel problem around ear and forehead as sleep is majoe disturbance in all symptoms
i hv uploaded some reports kindly consider to advise
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Please upload the reports in the reports section. They might not be uploaded properly.
Thanks and regards
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
You are having a deviated nasal septum with hypertrophy of the nasal turbinates.
You should use nasal spray. This will help to relieve symptoms but for absolute cure, surgery must be done.
Any further questions are always welcome

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad