Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Fibromualgia, muscle, knee, hands hurt, bad gait and balance, feel tired. Steroids, orencia taken. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
high sed rate (77) for 2 years. Bad muscle pain, knee, hands hurt. bad gait and bad balance. 62 years old women Diagnosed with fibromualgia. No sinovial fluid- dr. says not rhemetoid. very tired.-on Cymbalta. Stopped statins. My rhemtologist seems to be lost. Could it be Lupus? I have no rashes. Some mental confusion. I have tried steriods, orencia, methotrexate, nothing works
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A chronic muscle and joint pain with a raised ESR are suggestive of fibromyalgia but can be due to many other diseases like Systemic lupus erythematosus(SLE), Chronic viral infection,etc.
To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist are needed.
Meanwhile continue with your present treatment.
Take vegetables and fruits that are XXXXXXX in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc and Magensium.
Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain. It relaxes muscles and increases motion.
You can ask for Joint Fluid Therapy from your rheumatologist. It is process of injecting gel in the joints and it acts as supplement for synovial fluid to cure arthritis. They include Synvisc, Hyalgan, Euflexxa and others. They are also for temporary relief in pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor