Felt numbness in TMJ area after head injury. Should I consult a neurologist?

Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Brain Tumor
Question: Six days ago i fell and hit the back of my head on the ice. I didnt black out just jamed my left TMJ area such that it was numb for a few days. I've been tired since then. Four days ago when I was laying down and would turn my head the room would spin. It appeared to be getting better, however, this morning when I rolled over to my side in bed the spinning was pretty intense. An MD friend suggested seeing a neuro gist I case I broke free something inside my inner ear. What's your opinion? Also I work a entire day yesterday andimwondering if this contributed toot. Most occurs after laying fora period of time on my back and then turning onto my side.
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 8 hours later
Hello.

I have noted your history. Post-traumatic vertigo could be due to many reasons. Most common is due to injury to labyrinth - the part of inner ear which is responsible for balance. This is called benign positional vertigo. Other rare causes could be neck injury and brain stem injury.

Definitely, you need to consult a specialist neurologist to evaluate for the cause. However, your head injury doesn't seem to be very serious, as your consciousness was intact. So you need not be very concerned.

Benign positional vertigo is a self limiting condition. It will settle over few days to weeks with labyrinthine sedatives, labyrinthine exercises and physiotherapy. I am sure your doctor will prescribe them to you when you consult them.

I would suggest you to see a Neurologist for evaluation and for the above said treatment.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 12 hours later
Thank you for your response.

So you're thinking I've probably have the need for canalithe treatment I hope it's that simple. In your experience, if this should work, does it fix this permanently or will be a reoccurring situation? Also, would an ENT be able to help with this as they're more readily available for appointments.
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 35 hours later
Hello again.

Sorry for replying late.

This is just simple vestibular disturbance following trauma, which usually subsides by itself. You may require labyrinthine sedatives for some time. Most of the cases, it settles completely.

You can see an ENT specialist if it is difficult to get appointment with Neurologist.

I hope this helps. I wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E