Feeling stomach pain, back pain and loss of energy. Test showed pus in urine. Worrisome

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 17 yr old daughter has not felt well for over 1 month. She has loss of energy, stomach pain and back/neck pain also. She went to the doctor and results were some pus in her urine. Blood tests for kidney infection/STDs were all negative. She is not sexually active. No fever.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Your daughter is quite workaholic I think!
She is having a simple urinary tract infection and should have consulted the clinician soon, one month in disease is a high time.
It is good that her UTI did not spread to involve the kidneys or to spill in blood.
She should visit the physician to get antibiotics prescribed, the dose regimen your doctor would know. The aches and pains are the symptoms of untreated infection leading to malaise. She should take liberal intake of fluids.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 12 minutes later
At the first doctors visit my daughter was prescribed a 3 day dose of anti-biotics. 5 days later she vomited again and stil did not feel healthy. She was then prescribed 5 different antibiotics. This has been 3 days ago. When should she start to feel improvement? And Yes I have asked her to quit one job but she loves to work at both places. She is studying to be a high school English Teacher also. She eats healthy and weight is in very normal ranges.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
5 different antibiotics! I would not believe it, no doctor on earth would do that!
I think you have misunderstood the treatment, there may be 5medicines like paracetamol, antiemetics, and offcourse antibiotics.
She should get antiemetic regularly along with a proton pump inhibitor anti acidity drug and antibiotics. She should take the medicines in close supervision and should report back if vomits the drugs.
If too much malaise then she should take paracetamol 500mg as required.
She should start making improvement within 3-4 days of antibiotics and she must ensure rest. Doing jobs would hamper getting better.
Wish you a great health!