Feeling discomfort in esophagus and rib area. Dont have gallbladder. Related to hernia?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Can you feel a hernia to one side of esophagus more then the other. I seem to be able to feel it slightly to the right and its sore to touch at the bottom corner of my right rib. I don't have a gallbladder this is more of a pressure tight soreness. Gets worse with movement.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I presume that you are asking abut hiatal hernia.

Hiatal hernia most often remains asymptomatic. Only larger hernias cause symptoms and it includes chest discomfort, heartburn and difficulty in swallowing.
You cannot feel the hernia as such. You can have only the above mentioned symptoms.

I would suggest an upper GI endoscopy be done for evaluation of your symptoms.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini