Feeling dehydrated, watering eye, rashes and swelling on face. Any ideas?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: My adult daughter has a very swollen face - sore and watering eyes a rash on face and neck which is
becoming blistery , skin that is feeling very hot and getting painful. She is feeling very dehydrated.
Any ideas please.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
This skin rash could be due to viral infection or it could be due to some allergic reaction.
I would like to know
1) since how long is she having this rash
2) does it involve one side of face without crossing midline
3) any blisters inside oral cavity
4) use of any new cosmetic or medicine etc at the area of involvement
Answering these questions and uploading an image of the concerned area would help me out in confirming the possibilities.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
The rash and swelling involves the whole face especially the eyes and eye sockets.
No blisters in mouth.
Swelling began slowly on Sunday morning and gradually got worse until Tuesday
morning when her eyes were swelling rapidly.
Rash is raised blisters and is all over face and on her neck.
No new medicine or cosmetics have been used recently.
Hope this helps.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
She might be having contact dermatitis or angioedema
As she is having swelling of eyes, rash, swelling over her face and blisters( fluid filled lesions), she needs immediate medical intervention. Kindly consult a doctor nearby as she might require a course of oral steroids.
In the meanwhile start her on oral antihistaminics like cetirizine or Benadryl
Hope that answers your query. Take care.
Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.