Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Feel burning sensation while urinating, during menstruation and abdomen pain. Had vaginal infection

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7255 Questions
I feel burning sensation when I urinate. Normally when I try to control urination for
some time then also buring sensation is there and I can't control. Three months before I was diaognised with
vaginal infection (Symptoms severe back and abdomen pain with burning sensation). I got
married 6 months ago.
Also just before marriage I took sysrone tablets for two weeks to delay my periods.

I feel pain during 1st or second day of menstruation.
Currently I feel only abdomen pain that is also not severe.No back pain.
But burning sensation is there form two three days. Pain in lower abdomen started just two before mentruation.
And burning sensation occurred during menstruation. Still menstruation is not over. My cycle is fine it lasts for 5 days.

Last time also same burning sensation started during menstruation and it persisted. After that I took some antibitocs for 15days.
I dont remember the name exactly.

I suspect its the same vaginal infection. Can you suggest some medication and precautions for the same? Also precautions for my married life.
I am 25 years old.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

As per your symptoms, it appears that you are probably suffering from some amount of cystitis and urethritis. Owing to the shorter length of the urethra in women, infections are frequent. This may be precipitated during the menstrual cycle.

It is usual for some amount of cystitis or urethritis to be observed soon after consummation of marriage. Usually no organisms are found and it responds well to symptomatic treatment. This is called 'Honeymoon Cystitis'. It is unusual for this situation to persist or recur. If this is recurrent, it is essential that the male partner is examined by an XXXXXXX for evidence of any infection and treatment to prevent recurrence in the female partner.

In the current scenario, I would ask you to see a specialist, get a vaginal swab as well as a sample of urine for culture. It is essential that your husband is also simultaneously examined and treated for any infection, if present. you should also take the opinion of a nephrologist. Please do not use any tampons during the menstrual cycle and maintain personal hygiene. If you do not wish to conceive now, you may use condoms.

You may need a pelvic antibiotic, an urinary antispamodic and regular follow up for a couple of months. Do not worry, your situation is quite manageable.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feel burning sensation while urinating, during menstruation and abdomen pain. Had vaginal infection 20 minutes later
Can you please provide me names of the tests which I and my husband should go through. Also what could be the cause for this issue, means from what infection my husband could be suffering from ? Is this some sort of serious infection? What could be consequences of this infection both for my husband and me?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Firstly, both of you would need to undergo a complete physical exam followed by routine blood counts and urinalysis. You would need a vaginal swab taken for culture and sensitivity; some doctors would also prefer to culture the menstrual blood. Urine would be collected for culture and sensitivity. Renal scans and urethroscopies may be done if recommended by the nephrologist. Semen may also be cultured for evidence of any infection.

The prognosis depends on the type of infection detected and the treatability of the condition. Usually, monilial and candidial infections are the commonest ones encountered and they are easily treated with no future affects.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back for any more clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor