Suggest treatment for dysuria post an intercourse

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife oftens has uti after sex,today also she had pain and burning urinating,she had pyridium for pain,she felt as if she is having some problem in breathing in the night is it a side effect or could be phsicological?
Also please suggest the right treatment for it,and the maximum dose of pyridium.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She need to do a urinalysis with urine culture

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

Urinary issue after intercourse or honeymoon cystitis are caused from fecal flora that are easy deposited in vagina during intercourse.
Hence while she have so frequent urinary issue she should do a urinalysis and urine culture.
By doing these exams she can determine the bacteria and type of antibiotic she need and she can take a proper treatment.

Breathing problems may be due to reaction of her body after urinary disuria and pain.

Dosage of pyridine for urinary issue is 200 mg orally three times a day after meals.

She can follow these measures to prevent it:
Clean the vaginal area before having sex intercourse
Urinating prior to and after intercourse
Drinking plenty of water on a daily basis
Avoid drinking coffee
Drinking cranberry juice
Urinating regularly
Avoid usage of douches and feminine hygiene sprays

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad