Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Facing back pain and walking difficulty after delivery. X-ray normal. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10450 Questions
I have problem walking and pain at back after pregnancy. I had c- section..its been six months. How to cure this problem. I had done xrays but coudnt find any sort of gap or something. Evrything was fine still had a problem walking
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Lower back pain is quite common feature following a Caesarean section and is due to effect of the epidural or spinal anesthesia. It may radiate from lower back region to buttock, medial aspect of thigh or pelvic region up to vagina. Associated vaginal /stress may aggravate this condition.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist regarding this for complete physical examination including pelvic exam (with/ without speculum) to rule out underlying causative factor. Initial investigations like vaginal swab test and urine examination- routine & microscopic may need to be carried out. In addition, MRI scan of lumber region may be useful. In extreme cases, you should consult with orthopedic surgeon/ physiotherapist for complete recovery.

Following things are very much helpful in preventing above condition:

1) Take proper antibiotic therapy/ suppository to combat vaginal/ urinary infection. Maintain genital hygiene properly. Drink more water/ fluids & empty bladder in regular interval.
2) Maintaining good posture during breast feeding or sleeping is much essential. Avoid sleeping on soft mattress. Foam or air mattress is quite comfortable.
3) Use hot and cold bag alternatively. You can lie on a heating pad for half to one hour, then replace it with an ice pack. Taking a hot bath with epsom salts can give some relief from low back pain.
4) Gentle stretching the back muscles & pilates classes (way of exercise for good health) are quite good for low back pain following a C-section. They strengthen abdominal muscles and make easier in relief back pain.

In addition, yoga & pelvic tilts are very much helpful for lower back pain. Pelvic tilts means lying on your back with knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Tilt your tailbone toward belly button while keeping your hips on the floor in a subtle movement. At the top of the tilt, you tighten butt muscles & release after that . Repeat this exercise 10-15 times daily to get relief from back pain in great extent.
5) Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables/ fruits and avoid spicy/ fatty food stuff.
6) Use some medication like muscle relaxant gel for local application, take calcium & methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplements.

I think that above information is much sufficient and useful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Facing back pain and walking difficulty after delivery. X-ray normal. Any cure? 3 hours later
Thanks for your kind reply...i would like to tell i m having pain not at lower back but sides of my body. I dont know how to express in words and even i find problem while walking......i have attached x suggested by doctor there is no physical problem....but i have got little bent or (little curve towards inside portion)at my back. Jst above buttocks and on spinal cord. Please tell how to get back my walk normal ????? What could be the reason for lumpsy walk and how it can be cured. My walk is liitle is very easy recognizable by anyone.....please suggest me a treatment or exercises for it
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The X-ray of spine is normal. However MRI scan is the best test to detect any nerve compression or soft tissue pathologies.
You need to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination. He will recommend you a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant orally to help with your symptoms. You also need to get your vitamin D 3 levels evaluated.
The pain you have can be related to a muscle spasm too. Doing hot fomentation in the affected area will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Facing back pain and walking difficulty after delivery. X-ray normal. Any cure? 36 minutes later
Please suggest me best orthopedician in delhi and also tell me all the things need to do again numberwise and little more clearly....
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
To find a good Orthopedician nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
Your orthopedician will guide you regarding the treatment options.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Get some muscle relaxants and vitamin D 3 supplements prescribed.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor