Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Experiencing pain near rib cage. Ultrasound clear. Suggested intercostal rib muscle pull. What is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
i am a 22 year old female experiencing pain just below my right rib cage for over 2 weeks now. its mostly dull pain but becomes sharp suddenly 2-3 times a day, subsiding again in 5 minutes. i consulted a physician. the ultrasound is clear so liver and gall bladder are alright. the doctor said its probably an intercostal rib muscle pull. how do I treat this? and also, is there a danger that it could be something else that the ultrasound may not have found?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 45 minutes later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!
I am sorry for your pain and I can understand your concern. If your treating doctor strongly believes after a thorough physical examination and investigations like ultrasound that the cause of pain is due to , then I want to reassure you that there is nothing big to worry about. Intercostal muscle pull or strain is not a serious issue and just needs conservative treatment like rest, breathing exercises and physiotherapy if needed. This usually takes 3-6 weeks to completely get relieved depending on the grade of strain.

However, to answer your last line that - is there a danger that it could be something else that the ultrasound may not have found? - Can be answered based on physical examination finings, associated symptoms and should be decided by treating doctor. Anyhow, from the clinical presentation which you have given, I do not suspect anything serious but would advice to see your doctor if you have any associated symptoms like sudden weight loss, fever, nausea, vomiting, jaundice etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor