Experiencing hot flashes. Is being constantly hot part of the cervical stenosis?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I am 69. I have had a cervical stenosis for many years & have been losing function in upper limbs. For the last year, I hace been expiriencing hot flushes. I'm constantly hot, with no relief. My body temp is normal & I'm in good health. My question: is being constantly hot part of the stenosis? Can any thing be done.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Being constantly hot is not part of cervical stenosis. These hot flushes seems to be related to hormonal change of menopause.

The best treatment for hot flushes would be one that deals with the hormones, since the hormones are linked directly to hot flushes. There are some hormone treatment procedures that can be done with clinical medication.

You also need some lifestyle changes to alleviate hot flashes-
*Exercise - Increasing your level of activity (for example, taking the stairs instead of the elevator) can reduce hot flashes.
*Relaxation and stress reduction.
*Changing your diet- a low-fat diet helps with hot flashes.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later
Thank you for telling me my hot flushes are not conneced with the stenosis. However, I have tried hormones & talked to my dr, plus a Dr. on line, & it isn't menopause either. So it's back to the drawing board. Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

Apart from menopausal , the most common cause of hot flashes is a stress reaction that causes epinephrine and norepinephrine release into the blood stream. This in turn causes increased blood flow and thus increased heat. A hot flash may ensue to get rid of the heat. The trigger can even occur during XXXXXXX REM sleep (presumably from dreaming).

So you need not to worry too much. Try to relax yourself. Do regular exercise and take good diet.

Hope this will help you.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta