Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Experiencing hematuria after sex and exercise, grains in urine. Having edema ,pelvic pain. Causes ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i have been experiencing hematuria, edema and pelvic pain over the last 3 months, but no obvious infection as determined by my PCP....I had no fever but was given 2 courses of antibiotics. Initially i recorded my water intake vol/time and determined that I may be irratating my bladder by sleeping with a full bladder, I have taken steps to reduce this by drinking more earlier in the day and limit my consumption of food and fluids that are known bladder irritants, this has helped somewhat. Hematuria is present after sex and strainous exercise. I have grains present in my urine (visible when saved in sterile container not in commode) are these very small kidney stones? What else could cause hematuria/suprapubic pain?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Presence of visible blood in urine is called gross hematuria or macroscopic hematuria. This signifies any underlying medical conditions which needs investigations to confirm.

Most often it is related to urinary tract problems like kidney stones, inflammation of urinary tract, renal vein thrombosis, certain kidney tumors and coagulation disorders and anticoagulants.

Given your history of grains present in urine along with hematuria, it gives possibility of kidney stones an edge. You need to consult a urologist and get a urine examination and urine culture done along with an ultrasound kidney and urinary bladder to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor