Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Experiencing episodes of sharp electric shock like pain in heart. Should I visit ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2101 Questions
I am 76 years old, no history of heart disease in my family, in good health, no prescription meds, but have been experiencing episodes of sharp, short pain in the area of my heart. It almost feels like an electrical shock. They last no more than one to two seconds. They started about four days ago with about 20 episodes of varying intensity that day. The last two days have been minimal but today they have started back up again although not as intense. Should I go to the ER? XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you answer some queries like :-
1. Whether your pain was radiating to some other part of your body like left arm/shoulder/jaw?
2. Whether the pain was associated with prespiration?
3. Any problem in breathing during the pain?

I would suggest that you should go to the ER and get an ECG done and blood tested for lipid profile and cardiac enzymes to rule out any cardiac cause. This is preliminary and effective testing.

You can take isosorbide nitrate 5 mg sublingually for immediate relief in pain caused by heart.

Also take antacid like Rabeprozole 20 mg along with Domperidone 10 mg for pain due to acidity and gas.

Avoid spicy and oily foods.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined by a cardiologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any furthur query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor