Experiencing clear vaginal discharge after full hysterectomy. Is this normal?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: i'm 33 and have had a full hysterectomy. last night i experienced a gush of clear vaginal discharge that is continuing today. i have no pain or discomfort and have never had this before. i am not on any hormone replacement. what is this??
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

You didn't mention when you underwent hysterectomy.
In post hysterectomy period up to 6 weeks some amount of clear vaginal discharge can be seen.
Which comes form the healing granulation tissue.
This can be minimal to moderate in quantity, clear or mixed with blood, odorless.
This will subside soon after complete healing of the wound.

The rare possibility is genitourinary fistula, which is a complication of hysterectomy.
In this case urine leaks from the vagina. Clear water like fluid with moderate to large quantity, associated with pungent smell can be seen in this case.

So you observe the quantity and odor of the vaginal discharge and if needed consult your gynecologist once.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later
Thank you. I had the hysterectomy 4 years ago, am not on hormone replacement, and have had no complications before now. Could it just be an infection?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later

Yes, there is possibility of infection. But having clear discharge with no odor is somewhat less common in vaginal infection. Anyhow better to get examined once to find out the possible cause and take treatment if needed.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.