Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Effective treatment to stop my hair loss?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
what is the most effective treatment to stop my hair loss or to regrow my hair naturally. and how can I treat bunps behind my neck that seems not to go away after several years of treatment
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

Treatment of hair loss depends on a greater extend the underlying cause. There are varied causes of hair loss some of which include;
-involutional hair loss due to aging
-androgenic hair loss or male pattern baldness which is genetically determined
-alopecia areata which is an immune disease in which the body's immune system destroys hair follicles
-fungal infections etc.

In addition to the underlying pathology, two drugs commonly used in treating or preventing hair loss include minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia). Minoxidil is an over-the-counter liquid which is applied on the scalp twice daily to grow hair and to prevent further loss. It may take up to 12 weeks for new hair to start growing. Hair growth can occur in areas not requiring hair growth if the drug is applied on those locations
Finasteride (Propecia) on the other hand is a prescription rug and is mostly used to treat and slow male-pattern baldness. Rare side effects of finasteride include diminished sex drive and sexual function, and progression of prostate cancer in some men.
Apart from drugs, surgery for plastic transplant of the scalp is possible.

What you described on the back of the neck is defficult to say what it is from the information you have given. But if it increases following shaving then it could be folliculitis. It requires use of antibiotic solutions following shaving regularly and use of steroid cream to apply on the already formed lesions. In advance and more severe cases, surgery could also be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor