Effective treatment to stop my hair loss?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: what is the most effective treatment to stop my hair loss or to regrow my hair naturally. and how can I treat bunps behind my neck that seems not to go away after several years of treatment
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

Treatment of hair loss depends on a greater extend the underlying cause. There are varied causes of hair loss some of which include;
-involutional hair loss due to aging
-androgenic hair loss or male pattern baldness which is genetically determined
-alopecia areata which is an immune disease in which the body's immune system destroys hair follicles
-fungal infections etc.

In addition to the underlying pathology, two drugs commonly used in treating or preventing hair loss include minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia). Minoxidil is an over-the-counter liquid which is applied on the scalp twice daily to grow hair and to prevent further loss. It may take up to 12 weeks for new hair to start growing. Hair growth can occur in areas not requiring hair growth if the drug is applied on those locations
Finasteride (Propecia) on the other hand is a prescription rug and is mostly used to treat and slow male-pattern baldness. Rare side effects of finasteride include diminished sex drive and sexual function, and progression of prostate cancer in some men.
Apart from drugs, surgery for plastic transplant of the scalp is possible.

What you described on the back of the neck is defficult to say what it is from the information you have given. But if it increases following shaving then it could be folliculitis. It requires use of antibiotic solutions following shaving regularly and use of steroid cream to apply on the already formed lesions. In advance and more severe cases, surgery could also be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards