Owl Image

ECG showed Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH). Meaning?

Question
ABNORMAL ECG , LVH?
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Before I proceed to comment on your query, I would first like to say that ECG machine interpretation of ECG records are not always true unless verified by a competent specialist. Therefore you still could have a normal record if the reports were not verified by the emergency doctor whom you consulted.

Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) means the size of the ventricle is increased. Commonest cause is hypertension or when there is excess blood volume filling in left ventricle as in case with mitral regurgitation. 2D echocardiogram will provide us more information about LVH. Hence if presence of LVH is confirmed by your doctor, I think you should go ahead and get echocardiogram done.

As rest of the cardiac enzyme test are normal, I am happy with it. You do not have any signs of heart attack.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question, I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: ECG showed Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH). Meaning? 36 minutes later
Thank you Dr..Is an MR or LVH something of great concern?..could it be congenital ?
and what is a normal range for QRSD? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 35 minutes later

Congenital MR and LVH are rare. It is noticed in infants and pediatric patients. At the age of 37, the possibility of congenital illness is even rarer.

Get your 2D Echo done. That will help us to know the significance of LVH and about the severity of 'MR' & 'LVH'. Also the ejection fraction in echo report will also give us indication whether you need to worry or not. If it reveals a mild disease, you need not worry; but if the MR is severe than you will need medical attention at the earliest. Therefore it all depends on what your echo report is.

The normal QRS duration is 70-110ms. In Your ECG, QRS duration is normal - you need not worry.

Hope I answered your queries. Let me know if you need further assistance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health...

Follow-up: ECG showed Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH). Meaning? 20 minutes later
Many thanks Dr.. I'll do the needed

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 16 minutes later
You are welcome.

If you found my answer useful, please do me a favour by closing this discussion. I would also appreciate your feed backs about this service.