What causes fainting spells and confusion?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My uncle, Mr. Bidyanath XXXXXXX is getting fainted / senseless very frequently, at least twice a month. He has consulted several cardiologists and neurologists and have undergone numerous medical tests, including MRI of brain, echo-cardiography of heart. He is also under medication as suggested by cardiologists and neurologists, but nothing is helping him till date. In spite having consulted with doctors, having all the tests done and taking medications, he is getting fainted / senseless at least twice a month. Please suggest what he should do in order to get rid of this problem
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your uncle's symptoms and have also gone through his reports.

It is unfortunate that despite extensive investigations and consultations his correct diagnosis has not been made, and therefore, correct treatment could not be started.

Possible diagnosis in this case include seizure (or fits) and syncope.

For further evaluation of seizures, a long term video EEG (lasting 24-72 hours) may be done. I have noted that a routine EEG has been done, which was normal.

Also, for evaluating syncope, HUTT test (head up tilt test) should be done. If indicated, cardiac electrophysiology studies (EP studies) should also be done.

I am sure with these investigations, we can arrive at a correct diagnosis, and would be able to stop his fainting episodes.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your valuable advise. I have already informed my uncle regarding the additional tests that you have advised. Let him go through the tests and I will consult you again when the reports of these tests will be available.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would be glad to review the reports.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I would be pleased to review the reports when they are ready.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM ( Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj