Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Done vaginal scan, fluid in right side, anemic, high GGT rate. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I have had a vaginal scan and a thickness of 14mm and fluid has been noted on my right hand side-I am also anemica with a GGT High rate of 60. I have to se a gyn can this be a cancer? im worried sick
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to me.

On a vaginal scan, a thickness of 14 mm means endometrial thickness (I presume to be endometrial and not ovarian follicle size) this is the inner lining of the uterus. It is normal in thickness. Mild fluid in the lower abdominal cavity may be due to a mild inflammation in the lower abdominal cavity suggestive of a mild chronic pelvic inflammation.

If it is symptomatic like pain or heaviness in the lower abdomen, pain during intercourse then treatment is needed with the help of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs under the guidance of your gynecologist. Another possibility is recent ovulation which is a normal physiological occurrence.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Gynecologist'.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon. It is definitely important to correct anemia to stay healthy.

Regarding rise in GGT, I wish to understand why is it done in the first place. GGT is increased in most diseases that cause acute damage to the liver or bile ducts but is usually not helpful to understand the different causes of liver damage. For this reason, use of GGT is controversial, and guidelines published by the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases do not recommend routine use of GGT.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor