Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Done CT for back pain, result showed posterior disc bulge distorting theca. Could you help me understand the results?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 7 Questions
I have had a CT Lumbar spine scan done after 1 year of back pain whilst recovering from gluteal median tendonopathy cause from running. Otherwise healthy. Could you help me understand the results.

L3/4: Normal appearances
L4/5L There is a shallow posterior disc bulge but no focal disc protrusion. No distortion of the theca or compromise of the nerve roots. The facet joints are preserved. No bony compromise of the exit foramina.
L5/S1: There is 5mm of posterior disc bulge, slightly distrorting the theca but not definitely compromising the nerve roots. The facet joints are reasonably well preserved. No bony compromise of the exit foramina.
Comment: 5mm posterior disc bulge at L5/S1 slightly distorting the theca but not compromising the nerve roots.

Also what exercises can I do which will help me recover?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through your CT scan report. It shows that there is no compression of nerve at any level mentioned in the report. Even though the disc is slightly bulging, it is only impinging on the theca, a layer which covers the spinal cord.

The disc bulge of 5 mm at L5/S1 may be a cause of back pain (if you do have the symptoms).

As you asked for the exercises, you can do 2 kinds of exercises-

1. Spinal extension exercises for your back ( which will prevent any back pain in future)

2. Abductor strengthening exercises for hip

For both the exercises, you can visit a physiotherapist.

In case of any other query please do not hesitate to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor