Does too much calcium intake increase the risk of blood clot formation?
Get levels monitored, as such needs of calcium are high in pregnancy.
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Being heterozygous for Leiden factor does increase your risk compared to the normal person, for blood clots, and pregnancy itself, predisposes to blood clotting.
And yes, too much of calcium can also increase the risk of blood clot formation.
On the other hand, calcium requirement is increased during pregnancy, and it is critical for the well being of the mother and the baby.
So yes, you are right in taking good amount of dairy products in your diet, but avoiding extra supplements which are generally prescribed in pregnancy.
Another good measure is to monitor your serum calcium levels by regularly getting them tested.
That way you know where you stand - are you deficient in it, and thus need more during pregnancy, or are you taking enough in your diet, or are you overdoing the dietary intake, thus putting yourself at risk of clots ?
SO get those levels done periodically, and dont worry too much.
You cannot take too much calcium unless you are drinking down litres of milk literally.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Write in directly to me anytime at the following link -
I dont think it is too much
I think you are okay with that intake.
You are staying pretty much active, and are also on the aspirin.
There is no way you could have a calcium overdose, that too, being 22 weeks pregnant, with the kind of dietary intake that you describe.
So you can relax about that.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Taking a calcium channel blockerreduce calcium intake
- Calcium and kidney stone formation
- Calcium intake for women
- Daily recommended calcium intake
- Calcium daily intake
- How to increase calcium intake in my diet
- Calcium intake dangers to spleen
- Calcium intake with braces
- Throat pain increased blood calcium
- Cervical fusion and calcium intake
- Hymen not ruptured. Can I insert finger in the vagina?
- Want to conceive, have fundal subseraus fibroid. What kind of treatment...
- Pregnant. Having ovarian cyst. Has nausea and vomiting. Prescribed folic...
- Increasing red spots on abdomen since hysterectomy. Had been for...
- Had 3 times intercourse within a cycle. Took postinor and used...
- Is it safe to use contraceptive pills like i pill? Side effects?
- Had menorrhagia. Ultrasound showed uterus enlarged. Treatment?
- Had D&C and hysterscopic procedure. Prescribed Tranexamic acid. Having...
- Pregnant, in third trimester, advised 4d scan. Will it cause any harm to...
- Looking for help for Pemphigoid Bullous in throat, mouth and hands?