• question-icon

Does occasional wind/cramps in stomach indicate IBS?

Posted on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi I get occasional wind/cramps in stomach for up to 4 hours , always early morning when get out of bed . Only get relief it I sit or lie down. Had endoscopy, gastroscopy, tests for gall stones and gall bladder - all OK . Been on Nexium and Pantoprazole with no apparent change to the problem. 2 years ago had kidney stones lasered and in a month will have op for 2 hernias . Could I have IBS or something similar or could it be diet . Problem now for 4 months with attack every 2- 3 weeks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably IBS Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these very disturbing symptoms that you have been experiencing. From the information you have provided, it is more likely that this is IBS. However, I will suggest that you try to keep a food diary and try to review your symptoms with the different food types. Should there be any similarities in the diet during bouts of these symptoms, then it could be suggestive. If it should turn out so, then try avoiding the products to see if there is going to be any meaningful change in the symptoms. Winds often result from excess gas in the system. It can be caused by swallowing too much air during meals especially if we talk during meals. It can also be caused by germs in the stomach and more so when different food types are mixed. Try to avoid these 2 habits if you do so and let's see of what help this would be. Also, I will suggest that you get an antispasmodic added to your drugs to control for the cramps and pains. Pantoprazole and Nexium alone may not be able t control for this. Also, did you get a gastroenterologist to look into this? I wish you well.I hope you find this information useful. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to request for more information if needed. I pray and hope your hernia repair goes on without any complications and may the recovery be spectacular. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
Hi Dr Ditah Thank you for your response , however in the main it told me nothing more than my doctor and specialist have discussed with me. What makes it frustrating is that I have not changed my life style nor eating habits, never eat spicy or fatty foods, in fact I have always ate a very plain diet. Also I am neither a drinker or smoker. In fact the only thing that has changed during the past year are my hernias , so could my stomach problem be muscular ? During the last attack I noticed that one of my hernias was protruding and when I touched it I felt a pain throughout my stomach . To date my hernias have never caused me any problems nor pain. Nobody has been able to tell me why I get the pain only occasionally but always in the morning when I get out of bed; does the gas or wind get trapped at night as during an attack I get immediate relief if I bend over with my hands on my knees or lay flat on the bed, or is it just a build up over time and later when the pain "disappears" I never get any after effects. I forgot to say that the results of the cameras in my stomach was a few polyps (sent for checking and OK) and an amount of acid . Finally when I was checked for gall stones I was told that I have a very high sternum and had a small cyst on each of my kidneys which were not reported when I had kidney stones lasered about 2 years ago. My doctor and specialist are not concerned about the cysts
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Hernias are less likely as a possible cause!! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. I don't really think your hernias could be possible explanations to these symptoms. They are so diverse and cannot be tied down to a single possible cause. Also, several investigations have failed to identify a real cause to this. With the Hernia repair coming up soon, we would see what happens after to understand whether it could have been related. With polyps that were okay after testing, there is no reason to get worried. Please, remember to always go in for your routine colonoscopy for preventive reason. Some cyst are concerning depending on the site, size, cause, complications, etc. If your doctors seem not concerned by this finding, I will suggest that you ask them the reasons why and get reassurance that these cyst are friendly if that is their thinking. I hope these help. I wish you a safe surgery and recovery. I hope you soon start feeling better. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah