• question-icon

Does losing weight help in resuming periods?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: I have been diagnosed with mild polycystic ovary syndrome. I am 5 ft 5 and weigh 95 kg. my periods have stopped completely for approximately a year now and I am worried... I had a pelvis scan on Tuesday and these were the results from that. I had the scan to find out why my periods had stopped.... My gp advised me that losing weight even half a stone to a stone would probly see the return of my periods is this correct? Also am I now infertile? Do I need any other tests to treat this Illness ? I had prolactin levels taken too which were normal Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight loss will help

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Your irregular cycles and no cycles are due to obesity .

2) Decreasing weight by strict diet and exercise will help you to lose weight. This will lead to resuming periods normally.

3) Getting pregnant might be difficult at this stage. You cannot be labelled as infertile though.

4) Please go ahead with weight loss soon. This will help.

5) You dont need any medicines or tests. Weight loss is must.

I hope I answered you query and addressed your concerns.

Let me know if you wish to ask any further questions. I will be glad to help you.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist