What causes a pimple on the nipple?

Question
I had a zit in my left nipple. I squeezed it and puss came out. I never knew you could get a zit in your nipple?!?! Is that ok?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 minutes later
please get a mammogram ..

Follow-up: What causes a pimple on the nipple? 6 minutes later
Ok, thats what i was thinking. But I'm 38, i thought you didnt have to get one until 40.. But i was going to call the dr on monday anyway.Its nothing like cancer is it? Thank you!!

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably not

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,
hello again..

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but there are several reasons for this , first it could be due to mastitis or breast abscess, in this case the discharge will be accompanied with red, warm and painful overlying skin.

Another cause of yellowish or white discharge per nipple is fibrocyctic disease of the breast which can be accompanied with pain , itching or presence of a lump. This should be diagnosed by a mammogram.
Another cause is that the fluid discharged is milk and this occurs when the prolactin hormone levels is above normal or when thyroid hormone levels is below normal. Cancer can occur in young age although less likely at your age, however in case of tumors the discharge is commonly to be blood tinged.

i hope you find this helpful..