Does intake of Tryptomer help in treating lumbar pain?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having lumbar pain in my right leg starting from buttock for more than a year
Doctor has prescribed Tryptomer 10 mg at bedtime.
I am 68 years old. I also have Atrial fibrillation.
Is this medicine alright for leg pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disc prolapse likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the lumbar region radiating to the leg is likely to be due to a minor disc prolapse or a lumbar muscle strain. A minor nerve root compression or irritation is also likely.
Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal,
Thank you for your detailed answer . it was vey reassuring.
I also wish to know that how many days of bedrest is required and for how long need I take Trptomer 10?
Is this condition completely curable?
Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tryptomer is not likely to help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Tryptomer is not a muscle relaxant. It is an anti depressant. It will not help in this back pain. You need to consult an orthopedician for proper prescriptions. The bed rest is needed till the pain subsides completely. With proper treatment, further progression can be slowed down.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.