• question-icon

Does intake of Nexium help in treating hiatal hernia?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: What is the best thing to do for a hiatal hernia. I feel like food is stuck in the back of my throat. Will nexium help?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and diet lifestyle changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Hiatal hernia is mostly treated with conservative symptoms and diet and lifestyle modifications. SO yes nexium will help. Also gastric motility enhancing medications like metoclopramide, domperidone etc helps too. More important is modification of diet and lifestyle. Eating small frequent meals, avoiding triggers like smoking, alcohol, spicy products, fatty foods, dairy products, processed & canned foods, coffee, beverages, soda etc. Prefer more fiber, delay lying down for at least three hours after the meal. Keep the head side of the bed elevated for at least 8 inches. And last but not the least, lose weight.

See if these conservative measures help, i am sure these will other wise surgical correction will be considered next .

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan