Does intake of Metfrormin help in treating type-2 diabetes?
My wife is having Glucose Tolerance and she is diagnosed recently with Type 2- Diabetes. I will upload all the reports shortly. Question for now:
1) Currently she was told to take Metformin tablets 500 mg daily once a day initially for a week and slowly increase it to thrice a day. But, she is taking Metformin only once a day. What tests should be done regularly for diabetes check? Is there any tests to be done at regular intervals. We are also having fertility problems. Is it because of Diabetes?
2) Should I purchase Glucometer (like Dr Morepen, Accu Chek) etc? I have heard that the results of these Glucometer is not accurate. Does it really help?
Glucometer helps in assessing diabetes control. It wont give absolute value
Hi Mr. XXXX,
Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.
- Type 2 diabetes is due to combination of Insulin resistance (increased insulin requirement of body) & Defect in pancreatic insulin secretion.
- Metformin helps in reducing Insulin resistance ie. decreases the insulin requirement of body.
Optimal effective dose of metformin is 1500 to 2000 mg per day and usually started gradually in small dose to avoid its side effects like stomach upset.
So it will be suggested to increase dose of metformin as advised by her doctor.
- For monitoring Blood sugar control it may be suggested to check Fasting and post-prandial blood sugar level monthly and HbA1c right now (if not done) and thereafter once in 4 to 6 months.
It may be advisable to do following investigations periodically-
- HbA1c as suggested earlier.
- Lipid Profile baseline and if normal at least yearly.
- Renal function test baseline and if normal at least yearly.
- Urine albumin creatinine ratio once blood sugar controlled and then yearly.
- Fundoscopy for screening diabetic retinopathy yearly.
- Diabete is associated with insulin resistance which is also associated with obesity and PCOD (Poly cystic ovarian disease) which may associated with fertility problem.
- Glucometer helps in assessing blood sugar control it wont give absolute readings.
-It may be better for every diabetic to have glucometer at home if affordable.
During pregnancy frequent blood sugar monitoring may be required which can be easily done with glucometer.
Hope this help your wife.
Dr. Abhay Mali.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for type 2 diabetes
- Gastroenteritis and type 2 diabetes
- Dianogsted with type 2 diabetes kindly help me
- Type 2 diabetes
- Will amaryl treat type 2 diabetes ?
- Symptoms of type 2 diabetes
- Will elevating my legs help with type 2 diabetes
- Insulin in type 2 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetic with hypothyroidism how to treat hypothyroidism
- Will janumet treat type 2 diabetes ?