Does intake of Ciprofloxacin help in curing skin lesions?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Mangat:

This is XXXXXXX XXXX. As per your suggestion, I got my DRE done and the doctor told me that the lesion feels soft and he has put me on Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twide daily for 6 weeks. The doctor is of the opinion that he will PSA after that and if the improvement is not there then we will proceed with biopsy. Sir, you being a specialist, I will appreciate your opinion about this Wait and watch approach. I am concerned and your expert advice will help me decide my next course of action.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
biopsy only if next PSA is elevated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and wlcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i gave you the initial advice.
XXXXXXX if the DRE doesn't feel any nodule,suggestive of cancer,you needn't worry.
The mild elevation should come to normal, after 2 weeks of antibiotic.

The next PSA can be repeated in a months time.
Even your ultrasound isn't suggestive of cancer.
So relax now till your next PSA, which's likely to be normal.
If at all, the next PSA is above normal, then only a biopsy need be considered.
Ensure the PSA is tested, at a reliable lab.

Carry on with your routine activities.
Wish you well.

Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak