• question-icon

Does hypertension cause coronary artery disease?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, my husband is 57 years old, diabetic, sort of high blood pressure, taking Hydrocloridezide and quinapril. He had back surgerty 4/25 and is doing well from that. His tryclicides (spelling ??) are high. The last few days his pulse rate has been high. He had issues with that a few years ago, but with diet and exercise he was able to bring it down. Friday, we did a great deal of physical labor and he had to stop several times because he couldn't breathe. He tried to play golf today, made it 3 holes and stopped, said he was winded, very dizzy and extremely hot. I thought he needed to go to the ER, but he decided not to. Could his high trygclides be causing his high pulse rate. He has been running 100 to 120 without doing anything. He was given Toprocol would that help bring the heart rate down? Sorry so windy and my spelling isn't that great with medical terms. Thank you, Ms. D
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be cardiac dyspnoea.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.
Blood pressure and diabetes are risk factor for coronary artery disease.
Corona means heart basically there are three arteries supplying the heart called coronaries.Blockage in any one of them can cause breathlessness dizziness mild chest pain off and on
High pulse can be due to anti hypertensivesche is on.As blood pressure decreases pulse rate increases.

I would suggest him to go for to basic testsxof cardiology
2d echo and stress test to rule out possibility of coronary involvement.

Once clear from cardiac side other possibilities can be taken into consideration.

Triglycerides blocks coronary bessels and may cause heart attack in future.

Test suggested
2d echo
stress test
lipid profile
fasting and pp blood sugar

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist