Does high BP cause swelling and redness of knee and foot?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left leg is swollen and flares up red from foot to knee, they say it gets hardened cuz of high BP..my other leg is starting to ache if I"m standing to long (longer than 3 minutes)...I think I have heart problems, I get tired easily and I don't think my heart is pumping blood to my legs. Please advice. I already take Blood pressure meds = Clonidine. Every time I go to the doc they just say it's my BP..I think i'ts my heart...but I do have high bp as well.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might well be your heart

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

It might well be your BP your doctor it right and you are right too it might be your heart. But here is one thing is want to clear ..high Bp causes pressure on heart which causes swelling in feet to indirectly your doctor is saying the same things as you are, that it's your heart.

To deal with the problem here are a few steps to be taken.

1) Diagnosis.
2) This will be done by blood tests.. Echo cardio graphy ..ECg and other tests.
3) Treatment.
this includes control of BP and control of swelling by medication

I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor about carrying out these tests and diagnosing whats wrong

I hope this answered your question, a
if you have more please feel free to ask.

Regrads.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S(Licensed Family Physician)
XXXXXXX Resident Cardiology
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 28 hours later
what is the best medication for high BP?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are a few drugs to help.

Detailed Answer:
Basicly there is no best medicine for Bp,

Doctors chose it according to their preferences based upon their patient's. They consider age, co morbids, pulse rate, activity, affordability, personal experience etc.

I usually suggest my patients Calcium chanel blockers like amlodipine or An ACE inhibitor if there is no contraindication.

Before medication, it is very important to take care of one's diet, specially salt intake has great part to play. According to latest studies regarding salt intake "the lower is the better". I would suggest you to get physically active and take low salt and saturated fat in your meals. You will get better results regarding your blood pressure.

Here I would also like to mention thay clonidine is an atypical drug for blood pressure if your BP is not getting controlled with that you can discuss with your doctor about changing it. But you have to make a BP chart of you at home.

Best regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.