Owl Image

Does entry of blood from penis into vagina cause pregnancy?

Owl Image
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Question
I was about have unprotected sex with my bf. We just started and his foreskin tore(not sure why) and started bleeding. we stopped immediately. But some of his blood went inside my vagina. its been 36hours since then. i was about to take an emergency pill but i got my periods(earlier than expected). Now i am not sure if i should take the pill. Are there still chances of me getting pregnant? Should i take the pill even though i got my periods? i do not think any sperm went in but not sure. I am very confused. Please advice
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to take the pill.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The entry of blood from penis into vagina does not cause a pregnancy. The chances of sperms depositing inside vagina without an actual penetration is almost zero.
Now that your bleeding for periods has started there is no need to take an emergency contraceptive pill now. It was your safe period of the cycle. The earlier than expected period can happen due to stress and anxiety related to the incident.
Please do not worry. You are safe. There is no need to take the tablet now. But in future it is best to use a protection as emergency pills if taken frequently can cause irregular periods and protection will save you from any genital infections also.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: Does entry of blood from penis into vagina cause pregnancy? 6 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer. it really reduced my tension.
One last thing. He did not go inside me completely. He was like half a cm inside me when this happened. he says nothing went in but what i am worried about is if any pre sperm (i am not sure how to call that - sperm that may come before he finishes the act) went in me which may lead to pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is ruled out after the periods.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Pre-ejaculatory (or pre-cum) fluid does have sperm in it but in a very, very minimal amount.

Technically speaking pre-ejaculate does not actually contain sperm in it, but can pick up leftover sperm from the man's urethra from previous ejaculations. The chances are extremely low that you will get pregnant from pre-ejaculate. Furthermore the fact that you had your periods after the episode further reduces the risk to zero.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.