Does efficiency of a person reduce post kidney donation?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Does efficiency of a person reduces even slightly after donating one of his kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relative contraindication

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

If you are a pre diabetic with slightly raised HbA1C (6.2). Having diabetes is not an absolute contraindication to donate kidneys. However one should know that diabetes is the leading cause of kidney disease in any country more so if there is history of diabetes and kidney disease in the family. Keeping this in mind our institute takes high risk and informed consent from such a donor.

I would like you to do these tests in order to make sure that you can donate kidneys

1. Fundoscopy to rule out diabetic retinopathy. Most often retinopathy is associated with nephropathy as well. (i.e diabetic changes in the eye and kidney go hand in hand
2. 24 hour urine protein to know if there are already diabetes related kidney changes
3. 75g glucose tolerance test to know whether you are on overt diabetic or a pre diabetic

If you were my patient I would suggest not to donate your kidneys however in occasions where one is desperate for a kidney transplant ( example multiple fistula failure, intolerance to dialysis, young patient with family issues)one can still go ahead but there is an added risk on the donor developing kidney disease in the future

I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have any further doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina