Can retinal microaneurysm cause vision loss?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 6 Sep 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello. In late July I began to experience a spot in my left eye, about the size of half a lemon, left eye only. I went to see my ophthalmologist who diagnosed it as a retinal microaneurysm and said it would go away on its own in about a month, which fortunately it has. My question is: What causes something like this to occur, could it return, and if so, could it become serious, i.e., lead to blindness in that eye?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrence & few chances of loss of vision- if basic cause is not treated

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query under Health care magic. I understand your concern.
Retinal microaneurism is a condition where little blood protrudes out of retinal blood vessel , which causes temporary problem in vision & corrects it naturally over the time, So it does not need treatment.
* Causes: It is mostly caused by High blood pressure with atherosclerosis ( thickening of walls of blood vessels)/ uncontrolled diabetes causing diabetic retinopathy,
- Rarely it can be due to conditions like systemic vasculitis / Blood dyscrasias / systemic infection or exposure to radiation.
You seem to have it due to your blood pressure
* Recurrence: can be prevented by good management of underlying cause. So I would advise for regular check up for blood pressure( for which you are already Taking medicines)-also try to have changed life style ( Low caloric , high vitamin & low salt diet )/exercises with expert advise./ Get your investigations for Diabetes done & start with needful treatment / lifestyle changes as per expert advise.
* Complications: When not taken care of .. the probable complications are macro aneurysm which has risk of retinal detachment , vitreous hemorrhage -- with risk of vision loss with the Eye.
I hope that answers your query. If you want some more information.. please don't hesitate to ask a follow up query.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 5 hours later
I am monitoring my blood pressure, and I use a technique when bending down which was taught to me by my chiropractor. I exhale as I go down and pant continuously until I stand up again, which I try to do as quickly as possible. My ophthalmologist told me to take it easy and not bend down, but because I live alone and have to bathe and do other things to take care of myself and my house, that isn't practical, so I use the above technique. But thank you very much for giving me some ideas as to what to do to keep it from coming back.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bending is hazardous to eye & spinal for elderly people,

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxx
Thanks for the follow up query.I have read it & feel to express point of view your ophthalmologist has in avoiding bending.
Bending down ( with whatever precaution you take ) is likely to raise increase in eye pressure which in turn increase possibility of retinal microaneurism .
Bending down after sixties is likely to cause disc problem in lumber spine... so it should be avoided as far as possible.
In my view.. instead of exhaling? panting continuously.. if you try to flex your knees ( directed on both lateral sides- like Bhratanayam pose ) while you have to bend & work would protect your spine & eyes from the harm ... only precaution being doing regular exercises for knee joint & get it strong enough to bear the stress OR Take a short & wheeled chair & move on it till you finish your work that needs bending,
Hope you agree & it would be practicable for you.I would suggest a physiotherapist to be consulted before you start using these tips.
Thanks. Be in touch & ask in case you need some more information.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 22 hours later
OK. I'll keep that in mind. It sounds like you're recommending a Hatha yoga pose. I wasn't trained in Hatha yoga, only XXXXXXX yoga. Also, I have moderate to severe arthritis in my right knee, so bending it is a problem. However, I am working on how to do things in a better way. I am using a transfer bench now when I shower, and when I do have to bend over it is only for a second and then back up. I do use the breathing technique because I have had a lot of trouble with my lower back, which is why I am seeing a chiropractor. His treatments have kept my back fairly supple and the energies flowing as they should. But you're right, I do have to be careful about bending for any length of time, which I don't ever do. I think what may have caused this is excessive straining at the stool, which I have stopped doing. So I'm trying to modify the way I do things. Thank you for letting me know where this could go if I don't take care and keep my blood pressure under control. Eyes are so important. I wouldn't want to lose vision in one of them, or especially both. Thank you again, doctor, for your help. Namaste.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for feed back. Here are few more tips.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxx.
Thanks for the feed back. In the light of few more points of information I received through your feed back... let me suggest few alterations in previous advise.. so as to suit you.
- The pose I advised was not exactly Hatayoga pose.. but a simple way to reduce your height by bending knees & taking them apart... so that one can sit down comfortably without bending spine or work at desired height for small tasks...
*. But now consider it out of question for you as you have arthritis in one of the knees ..& there is no point in stressing already affected joint.
* In such condition you can place benches/ stools/ chairs of needful heights in your working place & avoid bending as far as possible...as you have already started using bench while taking shower.
When it becomes inevitable to bend .. follow your chiropractic method with
breathing technique as usual.
- Straining for clearing bowels..is likely to increase intracranial pressure...and should be avoided to prevent more severe problems.
* Having sufficient fibers( 100 -200gm ) in daily diet ( by eating non refined food , plenty of vegetables, salads & fruits/ avoiding fast food. & drinking at least 10-12 glasses of water in a day/ daily exercise in form of walking & yoga for abdominal muscles , helps clearing of bowels easily.
-I am happy you have already decided to modify your working methods. You are determined to keep a regular trace of blood pressure/ take advised medicines regularly/ avoid un-necessary physical & psychological stress / Have 6 hours of sound sleep Learn relaxation techniques & follow meditation or mind concentration techniques for peaceful life.With this type of understanding & determination.. you would definitely prevent any repetition in future & be a happy & healthy person with an excellent vision.
I wish you all the best, If you still some doubt.. please feel free to ask. I would be happy to help.
Thanks.Namaste!
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 18 hours later
OK. Thank you for the additional tips, doctor. I will keep those in mind as well. Thank you for all your help. Namaste.
Brief Answer:
It's my pleasure!

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxx
Thanks for the prompt feed back.
I am happy that the discussion has been helpful to you.... It was nice to be in touch with a health conscious & curious person like you... if you need health consultation any time in future , you can ask me through Health care magic platform... I would be happy to help.
Please grade the answer before you close the query.
Tanking you once more... Namaste!