What causes chevron zig zag patterns in the field of vision?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 5 Sep 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I was seeing black and white zig zagging chevrons out of the left side but in both eyes. It lasted for about 10 minutes. I have type 2 diabetes and my sugar was 121 this morning. I am 66 , female and very
active ( exercise 5-6 days a week.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ophthalmological review needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

zig zagging chevrons is not the usual presentation or history in eye involvement with respect to a serious condition like retinal detachment or vitreous hemorrhage that may lead to sudden vision loss. However, the eye should be examined. Fundoscopy should be done to look for progression of diabetic retinopathy, to rule out proliferative changes or ARMD (Age related macular degeneration). IOP (Intra ocular pressure ) should be checked and visual acuity should also be recorded.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil