Does drinking water help in anxiety?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Should I drink water to help my anxiety
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later
Drinking plenty of water atleast 8-10 glasses daily helps to maintain the circulation of the body in an optimal state and cleanses the digestive system.
It definitely will help the body in fighting any imbalances like anxiety neurosis or digestive or respiratory pathologies.
Also for asthma and anxiety XXXXXXX breathing exercises and meditation or yoga are really beneficial apart from medicines of course .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
How many litres of water can you drink I still seem to get dry mouth when I do drink water
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
You can drink about 1.5 to 3 litres of water daily .some may drink even more than that but on an average 2 litres should be fine.
However the dry mouth you are experiencing could be due to the anxiety and stress itself which is not related to water intake .
It does require that you consult your therapist for a reevaluation and make active changes in your lifestyle ( exercise meditation etc) to relieve your stress.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
The reason am asking about the water because am not drinking caffeine see if the water wakes me up I feel so tired these days don't feel like getting up for work I feel am going to pass out at anytime
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
I Interpret from your query that your current problems are dry mouth excessive fatigue or sleepiness ( not feeling energetic even after adequate sleep.
I would like to bring to your notice that these problems can be a part of anxiety neurosis itself or a sideffect of the antidepressant citalopram . Not everyone taking this medication will experience such sideffect but upto 20% may have such sideeffects from citalopram .
So kindly consult your doctor to rule out the real cause for your symptoms do that he might suggest an alternative .
It's good that you refrain from caffeine .
You can take a normal daily intake of water .
For the solution of your symptoms an exact diagnosis by reevaluation and probably an alternative antidepressant are much needed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Could I have something wrong with my heart or brain if I can't concentrate properly feel heavy headed and abit dizzy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Such symptoms like dizziness and mental fatigue could arise from various possible causes like a cardiovascular problem ( blood pressure abnormalities or rhythm disorders), neurological problems ( vascular anomalies causing decreased blood flow or neurochemical imbalances or vertigo etc) , psychiatric problems ( depression anxiety etc) or drug induced sideeffect .
So if you have been examined by your doctor routinely I assume he might have ruled out any such significant problem .
However if you wish you can get yourself investigated ( BP check , ECG ) and get a neurological work up done by your physician ( XXXXXXX medicine specialist ) to be onthe safer side .
As of now considering your age and history it seems less likely that any significant neurological or cardiovascular problem is the cause of your symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 22 hours later
Can I have one pint of alcohol on cetalopram?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Alcohol and citalopram act upon similar chemicals in the brain, which means depression symptoms may be increased when the two are taken together.
So it's advisable to avoid drinking alcohol when taking citalopram as the effects are potentially increased .
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
The cetalopram tablets have calmed me down abit for my anxiety but I feel like a zombie no energy can't concentrate don't know why
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
As I already mentioned feeling fatigued or sleepy or tired can be a usual sideffect of citalopram and if it's troublesome to you then kindly discuss with your doctor about it.
However most antidepressant drugs do have some or other sideffect so one has to weigh the risk versus benefit ratio and select the most suitable treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 2 days later
I had 2 pints of alcohol today and I feel really tired my doctor has changed my tablets to cymbalta got to start them tomorrow will they give me more energy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 14 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes Cymbalta contains duloxetine which is a SSRI group of antidepressant with fewer sideffects .Cymbalta offers relief for the emotional and physical symptoms associated with depression.Its also found that Cymbalta caused a rapid relief of anxiety symptoms associated with depression.
However it may take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks to start working maximally and the side effects are mild, mainly:Dry mouth ,Constipation ,Decreased appetite ,Sweating , drowsiness in some.
So yes, you should be feeling better after starting Cymbalta , though its advisable to have patience till the drug can provide maximum relief ,mostly in a about a week or two.